miércoles, 7 de mayo de 2008

Sorry, but I don't like Obama

I have tried to stay away from the U.S. elections, since I am a journalist, and that could appear non-ethical, but since I am posting here as a private person, I decided to give it a go. First of all, I would like to point out something very important: I am not a racist person. I was even engaged to an African-American lady and for me, one of the most beautifoul woman in the world happens to be Angela Bassett.

Now, after all that information about my position on race, I am (hopefully) ready to say this: I don't like Barack Obama. Not a bit, not as much as I like John McCain anyway. And don't get me started on Hillary Clinton. My political leanings are democratic, but I don't feel atracted to either one of them. The reason, at least in Obama's case, is that I think he's too green, and eager to demonstrate how great he can get as a president. I agree that whoever gets elected as a president, at least amongst the democrat candidates, is bound to mark a new era in U.S. pollitics: Either we get a black president or a female president. As a Mexican national, some people may argue that I am not entitled to an oppinion, but I rather have neither. Not a green, but astute senator, who has been dealing the race card pretty well on his behalf, or a lady that strikes me as a trying to be as charming as her husband was as a president. I loved Bill Clinton, but I don't like his wife.

I'll rather deal with McCain. In my view, he has the experience and skills needed for the job, a job that was taken away from him by the moronic warhound of George W. Bush in the Republican primaries in 2000. The only problem is that he's too old and most of the young voters are leaning in Obama's favor.

In any case, I think the winner of the presidential elections will be Obama, precisely because of the younger voters. Not my best choice for the job, but I hope he gets good advisers on economics and foreign policy, which should be the priorities for his presidency after 8 years of Dubya being a failure at both areas. And perhaps, he should consider checking the FEMA and similar agencies, specially after the massive failure they registered in the Katrina aftermath.

No hay comentarios: