martes, 21 de octubre de 2008

My kid is having his Math exam tomorrow

And I am having a headache. He's smart, but stubborn. In the meantime, I am keeping myself sane taking pictures or my old laptop. Built around 1997, this is a Fujitsu Lifebook 735Dx, with 16 megs of onboard RAM (I added 64 more). It has a 133mhz MMX processor, a 1,5G hard disk, one USB port and connections for keyboard, mouse, etc., etc.

I got it a couple years ago, with Windows 95 installed, and it was supposed to be next to useless. Now, it runs Windows 2000 Professional, uses K-meleon as a browser, Office 97 as word processor, Irfanwiew as a graphic viewer and editor, Final Draft 7 for movie scripts, PDF creator for (of course) PDF creating from almost any type of document, Foxit as PDF reader, Winamp 2.95 for media files and CDs, Infix PDF editor, Native Wind's docx2rtf to convert those docx files into something readable, win-rar as a file compressor and a USB portable utility as antivirus. I also used a program called 2000 Lite to remove some of the junk Microsoft loves to add to their SO's, like the games, internet utilities, the Explorer browser (not bad, but I'd rather have K-meleon or FireFox), Windows Media Player and a bunch of other programs.



I also installed all the programs I use for work in an old 1G mp3 player that doubles as an external hard drive.



So, after shaving the OS and leaving all the programs in an external disk, I have a very fast and responsive system, with plenty of room for documents in the hard disk and the external drive.




I also have an almost black desktop and almost all the icons into the taskbar, instead of the desktop, in order to save start up time.



I am aware of the limitations of this system, but let me tell you that it works faster than my Vista desktop, that keeps asking for permission to do anything, takes too long to start and is prone to update itself at the worst possible moment. In short, I love this old piece of junk, and it has proven itself extremely resistant, to the point of taking a fall and still be usable. The lid was broken and I fixed it with some epoxy. Try to do that on a new laptop.



Yep, I love this machine.

1 comentario:

alejandro0glez@gmail.com dijo...

No wonder... You are an expert on turning garbage into something that works.... Why don't you get the patents???